Trites are type of spiders first added to the Wrath of the Lamb DLC. They are commonly found in The Cellar and The Catacombs, and rarely in Necropolis. Some Hoppers are sometimes replaced with Trites during Challenge Room fights or Greed encounters.
They are even larger spiders, with an upside-down human-like face, possessing large fangs and four blood-leaking eyes.
They are functionally very similar to the Flamming Hoppers, randomly jumping great distances around the room, although they will move towards the player if they're too close, and there are longer intervals between jumps.
It is entirely possible to move safely beneath them while they're airborne. They can still receive damage from tears while in the air, although it's best to target them just after they land. Therefore, they will wait about 1.5 seconds before the next jump.
Found in Hard Mode, the Eternal Trites will wait a longer time before their first jump, but will then accurately follow the player with every jump. They will also shoot 4 tears in the cardinal directions every time they land, as well as leaving white creep where they land.
- They can be spawned by The Wretched during her boss fight.
- A Trite's Face resembles Isaac's appearance when upgraded with Mutant Spider, only turned upside down.
- If Isaac gets killed by a Trite from the original game, Isaac's Last Will will state that it was a Hopper instead. This hints the Trite has the same coding as a Flaming Hopper. This was later fixed for the initial release of Rebirth.
- The name Trite was first used by a monster from the Doom franchise.
- Both Wrath of the Lamb's and Doom's Trite are inspired by a monster known as "Norris-Thing" of John Carpenter's The Thing. This was confirmed by Edmund on Formspring.