The Binding of Isaac: Eternal Edition (also dubbed Eternal Update) is an official free DLC expansion to The Binding of Isaac, which adds a new Hard Mode, as well as fixing some long existing Bugs. The DLC was developed by Florian Himsl and released for free on Steam on May 05, 2015, for anyone who owns Wrath of the Lamb.
The Main addition of the Eternal Update is the new Hard Mode. Every enemy and Boss has a chance to be replaced by an overpowered, whitecolored "eternal" champion alt. Every eternal enemy has a chance to drop an eternal heart and every eternal boss will drop an eternal heart. Additionally, several strong items like Brimstone and Epic Fetus are rarer, rerolling with the D6 has a chance to fail, picked up bombs have a chance to become troll bombs and much more.
One new room type was added for Hard Mode. In the Eternal Challenge Room, the player has to fight several waves of eternal enemies and bosses in order to get an item from the Angel Room Pool as well as a few eternal hearts. Additionally, it's impossible to teleport out of it.
- Hard mode added (shows a white pentagram on the bottom left corner of the screen in game)
- The size of the health bar now scales with the number of heart containers up to 48 visible hearts.
- The amount of Blue Flies you can keep after exiting a room has been increased from 5 to 10.
- Shot speed up/down pills added.
- You can no longer leave a room if there's a black fly in it (you can't exploit flies to reset a room or turn a slot machine into a fortune teller anymore).
- Dying in a boss room after clearing it doesn't cause the boss to respawn anymore.
- Killing Mom's Foot will now reward the player with Mom's Purse, unless the player is already in Posession of that item. This change was made, so players that wanted to pick up the Polaroid got to keep their trinket.
- Wiggle Worm is more dynamic and allows the player to angle shots.
- The Parasite got tweaked to no longer hit the same enemy twice with one shot.
- Mask of Infamy now has a health bar.
- Hoppers and Keepers got their movement speed increased and can now jump over obstacles.
- Game Squid trinket added: Player has a 1/10 chance to fire a slowing tear.
- Eternal Flies now stay white when their host is destroyed.
- The Habit now gives the amount of charges you'd get for clearing a room instead of a flat 3 per hit.
- New room patterns added.
- Item pools changed (some items aren't Special Items anymore, while others are now)
- The Crystal Ball now removes any active Curse of Darkness when used.
- New enemy added: a ball of flies that looks like a double Moter.
- Mom's Contact now also reduces shot speed.
- The Mask+Heart monster's health has been reduced
- Magic 8 Ball now also shows the location of the Boss Room on the map.
- Basement/Cellar XL item rooms have a chance not to be locked.
- Using the Joker card can fail to send the player in the Devil Room and instead teleport the player in a random room or do nothing at all (only happens in Sheol, the Cathedral and the Chest).
- The Candle cannot hit offscreen enemies anymore (like the doors in Mom's fight).
- Teleport! now has a chance to send the player to the I AM ERROR room.
- Explosive Diarrhea! pills readded (readded in v.1.50 which was exclusive to the Most Unholy Edition and not available for purchase through steam)
- Rusted Key functions again.
- 15 new achievements/secrets added
- New title screen (Eternal God) added that appears after getting all Eternal Edition secrets.
Hard Mode only changes:
- New eternal champion version of bosses and enemies added: they have new attacks, increased health and can drop Eternal Hearts.
- Eternal Challenge Room added where you can fight several eternal enemies and bosses for an Angel Room item
- Eternal transformation added, that gives you flight if you get 7 health upgrades from eternal hearts.
- Rerolling an item with the D6 can fail and make the item disappear (based on luck).
- Orbitals now disappear after a few hits, but reappear after leaving the room.
- Bomb pickups can turn into troll bombs when touched (based on luck).
- The chances of getting a reward after clearing a room are lower (based on luck).
- The drop rates from champions are lower.
- The player's damage is lower in hard mode.
- The chances for a special item to appear have been tweaked.
- Brimstone, Dr. Fetus and Epic Fetus appear less often.
- Horsemen and some alt versions of bosses can be encountered even if you don't have the corresponding achievements unlocked.
- Guppy's Paw now gives 2 Soul Hearts per Red Heart instead of 3.
- The Sun card and the Full Health pill only heal you for a few red hearts instead of fully.
- Full Health Pill is also renamed to "Full Health (?)"
- Red Heart container cap increased to 16.
Florian Himsl (Programmer of TBoI and WoTL) found a way to reopen the broken files of the original Binding of Isaac and after playing a lot of Binding of Isaac: Rebirth he got inspired to work on another update for the original game. On February 2, 2015 he posted a video on his and his friends Youtube-Channel Gamesquid, that he's working on the Update. Edmund Mcmillen, also posted that video later on his Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth Development Blog.
|The Binding of Isaac||Wrath of the Lamb • Eternal Edition|
|The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth||Afterbirth • Afterbirth † • Repentance|
|Other games||The Legend of Bum-bo • The Binding of Isaac: Four Souls|