Horfs (見通し Mitōshi) are disembodied heads appearing in The Basement from Chapter 1.
They appear severed human heads with their eyes gouged out, completely identical to the Frowning Gaper's own head.
Horfs remain immobile in one spot (although slightly moving with every shot), firing blood shots at Isaac when he gets in their range. They will fire shots directly at Isaac when they're about 1/2 room width away from them, even though their shots can travel the entire room's length. This makes it possible to outrange the Horfs in almost all encounters with them; even if Isaac is in range, they have slow rate of fire and their shots are slow-travelling as well, and can be dodged simply by moving slightly to the side.
The best way to defeat the Horfs quickly and prevent them from shooting projectiles at Isaac is to get out of their range, move to the wall, and keep shooting tears at them.
Eternal Champion Behavior
Eternal Horf shoots a wide spread of 5 blood shots each time. Each shot is 45-degree-angled to other shots.
- Horfs can be spawned by Mom.
- They appear in the original game.
- Their Japanese name, Mitōshi, translates to "Outlook".
- Besides having their eyes gouged out, Horfs also lack their upper teeth. This, when combined with the gargling sound made when they fire, suggests that their shots are formed by the blood from their mouth, instead of their eyes.
- They are named 'horfs' by the 'horfing' sound they make.